• carlienoelle

Love Has No Language Barriers

Updated: Sep 16, 2020

I’ve officially been in the Himalayas for a month. Last week was our fist village outreach. We went to three different locations over the span of six days, and my expectations where beyond surpassed.

Day 1

We woke up at the CRACK OF DAWN. Scratch that- it was still very dark when we woke up and was for the next hour. We had our bags packed up and our shoes tied tight, we were ready to go down to where our bus was picking us up. Was it on time? No, it was about 2+ hours late, but that was okay, why? Because if it was timely we would have never found Sebastian- the tiny kitten (whom I named) with the wretched meow, who had an ouchie on his leg. I held him until I felt like it was time to find a safe place for his release- considering I was told I couldn’t bring him with us. Allen’s exact words were “HECK NO.”

When the bus finally came I, in true Carlie fashion, was asleep within the first 15 minutes and slept the whole way to our lunch stop. We ate some dalbot (rice and chicken with traditional lentil soup and some sort of “fresh” vegetables) and loaded back onto the bus. The next time I saw something other than the back of my eyelids we had arrived at the first village we were staying at.

Listen- being a white person here is like being a magnet for children- which is an amazing opportunity that the Lord has given us for building relationship and ministry!!

We unpacked and set up or sleeping areas so that we could go play with the children- and let me tell you these little girls were ruthless when we brought out a jump rope.

Someone had called the police on us.

We proceeded upon request to get all of our luggage out of our rooms and put them in the hallway. Next we were told to give them any books we had in our possession- they were wanting to see how many bibles we had. The whole thing was just for show.

We ate more dalbot and it was time for bed....

Or so I thought— I through up ALL night into the next morning.

Imagine this: every time you eat local food in a certain region, you (more times than not) see it again— coming out both ways, sometimes simultaneously.

Day 2

This was the day I was being held captive in the Lime Green Room. Okay, okay, that might be a bit dramatic- I was banished to the Lime Green Room to lay on a wooden table all day- okay you got me, I was sick and my team was going to walk forty-five minutes one way to a village for ministry and I couldn’t go more than forty-five minutes at a time without my insides making an appearance to the outside world so, bless her soul, Carlye stayed with me. And double bless her soul because she saw and heard way more come out of me then I would have ever hoped or dreamed for anyone.

After what seemed like days, we started getting delusional, the walls started spinning, and we started to talk about what would happen if our team had left us for dead, also the children constantly would look under the door at us.

Again, maybe only part of that was true, but I’ll let you decide which part.(I’ll give you a hint; it was was the first part) So, to say the least, day 2 was pretty uneventful for the Carl(ie)(ye)s.

Okay- I promise no more exaggeration, I just thought you would enjoy my comedic commentary for my not so funny day.

Day 3

My day started off the best way possible. Odella, the three year old daughter of a long term missionary couple, says “auntie Carlie, are you all done pukin?” I told her that I feel so much better. I then got my Polaroid camera out to show her and gave her a picture of her and I. She proceeded to run around to every person on our team saying, “ LOOK! LOOK! AUNTIE CARLIE GAVE ME THIS PICTURE AND I EVEN GET TO TAKE IT TO MY HOUSE WITH ME!” Wow, children are a blessing to this world.

Anyways, At this point we’ve decided that eating dalbot was not a wise idea for me. (I might have an allergy to turmeric, which is actually in a lot of traditional Himalayan foods.) So this is when I started my “rice only” diet. I would 10/10 recommend to only eat rice and walk everywhere for six days if you enjoy feeling lousy.

We split into groups that morning to meet people near where we were staying. My group was supposed to be going to a Christian woman’s house to pray for her. But, like any good mission’s story, we went on a detour (thanks to Isaac’s wandering) - we ended up at a primary school where we were immediately swarmed by children (refer to Day 1, paragraph 2.) Carlye and I weren’t really sure what to do, and our new friend and translator, Peter, wasn’t sure if we even had permission to go in there.

Let me interject really quick:

Schools here are not like schools in America at all. Many people who are 18, 19, or even 20 are in class 9 or 10. Also, security or trespassing isn’t really a thing or a big deal- anywhere, not only in schools. And many will just welcome you in.

We met the principal and then left shortly after to meet the woman we were sent to find.

When we arrived she welcomed us unto her home, she started to share her heart with us and mentioned she was having pain in her stomach. As we prayed, we instantly saw the Lord touch her as tears rolled down her face. We asked for the Holy Spirit’s presence and for him to heal her- and let her feel the love and presence of Jesus.

Her pain was GONE.

Getting the opportunity to see the Lord heal first hand has been so wildly amazing.

We were supposed to travel again this day to a new location, (and SURPRISE) our cars were about a whole afternoon late, which was awesome because it gave us the opportunity to help clean the yard at the pastors house and play with the children just a bit longer!

I again- in true Carlie fashion- slept almost the whole way... until we found ourselves stuck in the mud. All of the boys/ men in the car behind us got out and pushed our van free.

Wow Jesus, thank you for men after your own heart who are willing and ready to serve at any moment.

When we arrived we were given the news that we were staying in a hotel for the night— WITH REAL BEDS!! Praise. I mean listen, I’m all for sleeping on the cold hard ground in a garage or a church for the sake of the Gospel, but if the Lord wants to bless me with a real bed, how rude would it be to deny his blessings.

Although it we were very late arriving our team was still able to go to the children’s home that night. After splitting our very large team into two smaller ones we got to go play games and pray for about 30 beautiful children.

Also— I heard just about the best version of Noah’s Ark in my entire life. Not necessarily because there was anything more epic about it that I hadn’t known already— not because I had a huge revelation, but mostly because my cutest, sweetest, teammate Abigail had been the storyteller, with her awesome Welsh accent.

Day 4

Today was the day Odella and her family went back home, so I no longer had my tiny friend.

We loaded into a couple of tuk tuks ( which are essentially golf carts that they drive around on the roads) and headed to Sara’s house, whom is a long term missionary. Worship and prayer was so so amazing. Also this was the day we had the BEST breakfast!

Tshili almost got ran over by a pack of hogs.

Allen let us choose our ministry groups this time, and Carlye and I ran over to Peter so that we could be on his team again, but later I was sacrificed to go to another team where we were free to go wherever and speak with whomever God was telling us.

Ministry was tough. We were in a city where many people have never seen a westerner. Everyone seemed more interested in having a photo with us rather than a conversation, which is part of this. It doesn’t always go how you expect, but if you showed someone love, your day was successful.

After we all purchased our snacks for the road, we packed up and headed to our final destination. We arrived and split the church into two sides; one for the boys, and one for the girls. The children were watching us through the windows as we set up for bed.

I thought I’d fall asleep pretty quick, but Isaac’s snoring changed those plans real quick, but it gave all the rest of us something to laugh about.

Day 5

Time to go up the mountain!!

Jesus is so wild, I mean honestly in our minds we know that he can literally do whatever he wants, but something that has really stuck with me is that especially as Americans, “we know that Jesus can preform miracles, but we never want to be put in a place/ or admit when we are in need of one.”

The Himalayan people are ready for miracles, they are so hungry for something more, which has been a really profound way that the Lord has been growing my own faith.

As our team was making our way up the mountain we had come across a man, roughly in his late 60’s or early 70’s who had a stick for walking. Tshili, a long termer from Africa (who in my opinion is one of the greatest, funniest, humble, wise gals I’ve ever met) asked this uncle what was wrong, and why he needed the stick. He showed us an injury he received months ago from a sharp rock going through the bottom of his foot, and he agreed to let us pray for him in Jesus name. When we asked him to test it out he told Tshili that it felt better but he was still walking with a bit of a limp. We asked if we could pray again and he agreed but asked us to also pray for his knees.

The next thing we knew this 60-or-so-year-old man was running down the road. Running!

He said (in the native dialect) “if I knew you were coming I wouldn’t have spent so much money at the hospital.”

This gave us an opportunity to share the gospel with this man and tell him who Jesus is- and how he is the healer of all things.

Day 6

Saturdays are for church.

We woke up early, and praise the Lord, drank some milk tea with each other as we packed away our things so that the church floor could be used for its intended purpose.

The pure joy that the locals are filled with—especially when worshiping— is contagious! Although I didn’t understand the words that were being sung, it’s been a time in my life where I could feel Jesus the closest.

At the end of the message the pastor had welcomed us and told the congregation that my team will be going around and praying for a fresh filling of the Holy Spirit, and to stand if they wanted prayer.

Let me tell you, Holy Spirit came.

As I was praying for women, Holy Spirit came and was encountering them.

So, sometimes when you have a team as big as the one I’ve been put on (fourteen people), you can feel as if you are being looked over or that what you have to say isn’t important— and that is normal— but as Christians we need to be able to know that what the Lord has put on our hearts is important, and it is powerful. I was simply forgetting this truth.

When I was praying for these women and speaking identity into them, and catching them from falling— because Holy Spirit is doing something in them— it gave me a reminder that my words are powerful because they come from Him.

• •

Later that afternoon we had the opportunity to do street ministry. We started by praying for a man who the Lord then healed his knees. After this we were surrounded play people for about forty-five minutes seeing one by one, people being healed.

Jesus is so good.

When we arrived back at the church the children had started a soccer game. And if you know me, I can’t resist.

I’ve been hit hard with the quote “love looks like something.” And for everyone love looks different. For these children playing soccer and slipping in the mud was what they needed to feel loved, and man was it so precious.

The night of day six might have been my favorite night of this whole trip. As I mentioned before, the enemy has really been attacking my voice, especially my voice in music. I can’t tell you how difficult it has been for me to not have a keyboard or piano in arms reach, music has always been my love and I’ve been having a hard time incorporating that here. “Carlie this gives you a reason to really work on your guitar skills.” I know, I know, and perfection is not the goal, I’m allowed to mess up.

I’m allowed to mess up.

I know I’ve always been “allowed” to mess up, but having the role of being JUST a student has been such a blessing. Not a student with a leadership role, just a student, and a child. There is so much grace.

Anyways, night six:

There was a bonfire outside, and a guitar. And everyone spoke the native language. Besides me. My team went to bed because they were being responsible since we had to get up early the next morning. The guitar got passed around from person to person, there was dancing, there was singing, there was laughing, and there was very little English. And this is where I felt like I belonged. Fully and truly. It’s amazing how Jesus works through music, and how he can completely change your mindset— even when you have no idea what is being sung. This went on for hours and I couldn’t be more thankful the night I was blessed with.

Day 7

We woke up. We got on a bus. Whipped around every corner up the mountain. And I slept— I know you are so surprised.

To say the least, I had a blast on village outreach and I can’t wait to do another. The Lord is constantly giving me new revelation everyday.

148 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All